My room has a balcony, and I sleep with it open because it can get hot in Spain. Because the door is open, sometimes mosquitoes will fly in so I sleep with a mosquito net around the bed. 2 nights ago, I went to sleep, and in the morning found that somehow during the night my mosquito net fell on me, or I accidentally pulled it down while I was sleeping. Angela then assumed that I didn't know that I was to sleep under the blanket in my bed, and thought that I pulled down the mosquito net and used it as a blanket because I was cold. She spent the whole morning explaining that I could sleep under the blanket so I wasn't cold haha. I didn't know enough Spanish to explain to her that I do use the blanket while I sleep, and that the mosquito net fell down on me, so I just went along with it, smiled and nodded my head.
Then, yesterday we visited our neighbors. The girl Celia is 18 and she is going to college to study English, but she is not very good at it. Her dad wanted her to practice with me so he asked me what la playa meant in English. I told him it means beach, but they didn't understand the spelling and thought that I was calling him a bitch, because with their accent it sounds the same. He was not offended, he thought it was funny, but I explained that the words bitch and beach are spelled differently and sound different too.
Last night after listening to the spanish punk rock band, Nerea and I walked to la plaza because her mom was picking us up and taking us home. On the way to the plaza, we talked about boys and she asked me questions about if I had a boyfriend at home. I said no I didn't, but I started to tell her a funny story about back home dealing with a boy that I liked but he had a girlfriend, but it came out wrong and she thought that I said I had a girlfriend. Haha! I quickly corrected myself, saying that " No, me gusta chicos haha". I think I've learned my lesson. Just don't talk anymore. Haha, for now, I'll just try to listen and understand first, so that I don't accidentally tell people that I'm a lesbian or call people bitches hahahahaa.
Talk about language barriers. hahaa!
No comments:
Post a Comment