Monday, August 29, 2011

20 things I've learned while in Spain.


1. Everyone drives a stick shift and the cars are tiny.
2. All Europeans are crazy drivers.

3. With that being said, they know what they're doing (don't worry Mom).

4. All meals are eaten outside on a terrace or a back porch or somewhere outside.

5. I'm convinced they only sell 1 kind of shower gel, because I've seen it in every house I've gone to.

6. They don't sell razors! They either wax or look like Chewbauca or use a máquina de afeitar, which is, this little machine of terror that is supposed to make your legs smooth but really plucks every hair and makes you feel like your legs are getting amputated every time you touch it. I told Angela, "Muchas gracias, pero no me gusta." which is quite the understatement. Right now, I am using this little disposable razor that is normally used to shave a man's face. It only has 1 little, and i mean little, blade. It's terrible.

7. All beaches are topless( it's still weird no matter how many times I've been to them).

8. Bread is eaten with everything. And I mean, everything.

9. Kids my age get served drinks even though the drinking age is 18.
10. Everyone smokes. Smoking is to people here, as bread is to their food. If that makes sense? Ehh you get the jist.

11. Siestas are the greatest thing ever known to man ( as I've already said in pretty much every post). I just can't fully describe how much I love siestas. I LOVE THEM.

12. The sodas and soft drinks taste like watered down versions of the soda in America.

13. Every region has it's own dialect. I live in Valencia, where they speak Valenciano. It's unfortunate for me because I have to learn plain old regular Castillian spanish, and also pick up the dialect so I can understand what the people in my town are saying.

14. People here really like America. And people in America really like Europe. So I guess it's kind of a "grass is greener on the other side" type of thing. Weird.

15. They use spray deodorant. Mom, if your reading this, along with razors can you send some regular deodorant please? Muchas gracias:)

16. They eat with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right hand. When they eat they turn the fork upside down poke the food, then use the knife to put it on their fork. Don't think I'm weird for noticing this, it's just so bizarre to watch them eat it that way.

17. They wait until everyone is served and seated before they eat their food.

18. Before eating they say, "Que aproveche!" which is the equivalent of "bon appetite." They only do this at dinner parties or family dinners though, not out with friends.

19. They drink wine out of regular glass cups. I've seen no one use a wine glass yet.

20. Whenever you first meet someone, say hello, say goodbye, , or leave to go somewhere, you always kiss them on both cheeks. Everyone's always kissing, it's different than America. I like it.

These are some important things I've learned in Spain....I never stop learning. It's exhausting. Good thing they invented siestas! :)






3 comments:

  1. Ok...got it....deodorant and razors soon to be sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love your blog. All of it ( this page especially) reminds me soooo much of France! Its so funny reading all of these things i took for granted from the view point of an american. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks Claire! And yeah, I'm definitely learning a lot of new things and to be very open..hahaaha. Thanks for reading:)

    ReplyDelete